Monday, July 6, 2009

IT’S SUNDAY IN BARRANQUILLA



I woke up at 5:00 a.m. to honking and shouting. I dozed off and finally got up at 6:30 a.m. Shower was cold and no hair dryer. With the humidity and my curls I knew I would look like a fried poodle. I threw my hair back with a headband and called it good.

Jackie and I went to the park again and saw it in daylight. We took pics and then went to find Dave. We ate downstairs in the courtyard. The bfast menu was eggs and bread. A little boy was playing with his macaw (sp?) or parrot. I had eaten a protein bar before we came down and so just had a piece of bread. Jackie and Dave had the eggs and toast.

Walter, Williams neighbor, picked us up and took us to church. We traveled down narrow bumpy roads passed rundown homes and came to the end of the street. The school is on the right and the church is on the left.

When we walked in, the small congregation was singing joyfully. We were all greeted warmly with a hug from Pastor Ida. Martha and Jose are gone until Tuesday. They are taking care of two children from the Choco area. The parents asked Martha and Jose to take in their children because the Choco area is so dangerous with drug lords that they are afraid for their children. So the children have been staying here. Martha and Jose took them back to Choco this week so they could visit their family. We pray for their safety.

William and Pastor Ida led the service. The music was wonderful. I didn’t understand the words but I clapped and swayed to the music. I didn’t understand Pastor Ida but I could feel the energy in the room.

Afterward we got into a car driven by one of William’s brothers and we went to Pastor Ida’s home which is a community where small houses are connected to one another. This community is very close to the community we will serve but you can see the difference immediately in the homes. Even though the homes are very small, they were very well maintained. The fruit trees and flowers are beautiful. There are many flowers I had never seen before. Exotic. Beautiful.

Pastor Ida cannot speak English. She wanted to fix us lunch and we were to stay until 4:30. At first we didn’t know what to say to each other and conversation was stilted. What do you say to someone you never met before? Dave could translate and before you knew it, we were talking and the conversation flowed and there was laughter. We got to meet her family and other kids who were not family but may as well have been. The afternoon was so heartwarming. I was able to make a new friend. Pastor Ida is a strong woman. I can tell she is very loved and respected. She was funny and sincere and loves God with everything she has. I will get to see more of her this week which I am so looking forward to. It was a wonderful afternoon.

Walter picked us up and took us to the “nicer” area of Barranquilla. Dave found a bank to exchange dollars into pesos. We went to a very nice upscale mall and ate dinner and then went to Exito which reminded me of a Meijer where we got water and Light Coca Cola. We came back and did some Bible study together. We plan on doing that every evening. Today was a good day. I’m glad I’m here. We don’t know what tomorrow will bring but as Dave said, even though we don’t know, God does.

We scramble to find internet so hopefully can continue to post. It´s Monday now but do not have time to share today with you. Again, eye opening and heartwarming. All for now.

Lori

2 comments:

  1. Love the updates! And love that you found some Diet Coke :-) When I was in the Dominican we had cold showers too and by the time I got home I had such strong ab muscles from leaning back to wash my hair and not let my back get cold :-) So there is an upside to that. Keep the updates coming, I can actually picture you guys there! Stay safe and have fun!
    Keely

    ReplyDelete
  2. May you be open hearted to all you see and those you get to build a friendship with there in Columbia. How good to have a translator! Stories in person soon.

    ReplyDelete